Cooking in the Oven
Baking means to cook food in an over at a moderate temperature. Almost anything can be baked.
- Always preheat the oven.
- 350°F is used most of the time for baking.
- Follow directions in the recipe for oven temperature and baking time.
Roasting means cooking food in an uncovered pan in the oven. You can roast at low, medium or high temperatures.
- Use a heavy roasting pan.
- Cooking times:
- Vegetables usually roast at 400°F.
- Large roasts at 250°F to 375°F.
- Small cuts of meat 350°F to 375°F.
- Check temperature using a meat thermometer.
- Always let meat rest 10 to 20 minutes before slicing.
Broiling means quick cooking at a very high heat.
- Move over rack to highest position in the oven, about 3 to 4 inches from the top.
- Set oven to Broil.
- Preheat 5 minutes before cooking.
- Use a broiler pan, cast iron skillet or baking sheet.
- Leave oven door open slightly while broiling.
- Most foods will be done in 5 to 10 minutes