- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 10 ¾-ounce can of low-sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1 14- to 16-ounce can green beans
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups mashed potatoes (about 8 servings)
- 1 cup grated low-fat cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Wash your hands well with soap and hot water.
- Turn the eye of the stove to medium heat. Preheat the skillet.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet. Stir the beef as it cooks to break it into crumbles. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Drain off any fat.
- When the ground beef is cooked, add the chopped onion to the skillet. Stir and cook until the onion is clear and starting to turn brown.
- Add the mushroom soup, green beans, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper to the skillet. Stir to mix all the ingredients together.
- Pour the beef mixture into a large baking dish or cast iron skillet. Spread it evenly in the bottom of the pan.
- If using instant mashed potatoes, follow directions on box to make 2 cups.
- Spread the mashed potatoes on top of the beef mixture. Make an even layer.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the potatoes.
- Put the pan in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes. The potatoes will be starting to brown, and the beef mixture will be bubbling.
- Refrigerate any leftovers within 2 hours.