How to Add More Fruits and Vegetables to Your Day
You have lots of choices:
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Frozen fruits and vegetables
- Fresh fruits and vegetables
How to use canned fruits and vegetables:
- “Low Sodium,” “Reduced Sodium,” “No Salt Added” vegetables
- Canned fruit packed in “100% Juice” or “100% Fruit Juice
Drain and rinse canned vegetables to reduce sodium.
Add extra canned vegetables in soups, casseroles, salads, and sauces.
Use canned fruits as snacks, add to salads, or as a topping for yogurt.
How to use frozen fruits and vegetables:
Shop for frozen fruits and vegetables without added sauces, butter, gravies, or creams.
Frozen fruits and vegetables are quick and easy to use, and as nutritious as fresh.
Add vegetables to your family’s favorite meal.
Hint: add to soups or thaw and add to salads. Steam vegetables in the microwave for a tasty side dish.
How to use fresh fruits and vegetables:
For quick snacks, keep a bowl of fruit on your kitchen counter.
Cut up fruits and vegetables and make grab-and-go refrigerator snack packs.
Freeze your favorite fruit snacks (grapes, sliced bananas, and fresh strawberries).
Use them with a healthy yogurt dip.
Add them to traditional recipes and invent new family favorites.
- Add more celery to chicken or tuna salads.
- Add more shredded carrots to salads.
- Add more diced tomatoes to soups and spaghetti sauce.
Look for more ideas and recipes on HappyHeallthy.ms