How to Freeze Fruits & Vegetables
To freeze many vegetables, you have to blanch them first.
- Use one gallon of water for every pound of vegetables.
- Pour vegetables in a pot of boiling water.
- Cover with a lid.
- Bring to boil again.
- Let vegetables cook for a few minutes.
- Corn, small ears—7 minutes
- Whole kernel corn—4 minutes
- Okra—3-4 minutes
- Green Beans—3 minutes
- Summer squash—3 minutes
- Remove pot from heat.
- Quickly place vegetables into large bowl filled with ice water.
- Allow vegetables to drain and store in heavy weight, air tight containers or freezer bags.
- Fill containers to top and remove as much air as possible from freezer bags.
Always rinse fruit and allow time to dry before freezing.
Apples and Pears
- Core, peel and cut in quarters or slices.
- Toss in lemon juice diluted with water (1 Tablespoon lemon juice in 1 cup water) so they don’t brown.
Blueberries and Blackberries
- Leave whole for freezing.
- Cut in cubes or slices.
- Peel, take out pits, and slice.
- Cut off green caps, cut in halves or quarters.
- Cover baking sheet with wax paper or foil.
- Spread fruit slices in single layer on baking sheet.
- Please flat in freezer for several days.
- Place frozen slices in freezer bags with label and date.
- Press out as much air as possible to seal.