How to Prepare Leafy Greens for Cooking
It's easy to cook your favorite leafy greens!
For greens like cabbage, kale, spinach, collard greens, and others:
- Take off outside leaves, if needed. Remove wilted or brown leaves and dispose.
- Rinse completely under cold running water.
- Place in colander to drain.
- Place leaves in a plastic bag with a paper towel and store in refrigerator until you want to cook them.
When ready to cook kale:
- Cut out the hard stems.
- Stack about 3-4 leaves on top of each other. Roll them up.
- Use sharp knife and cut rolls into thin slices.
For iceberg lettuce:
- Hit the head on the counter to loosen the core and remove.
- Run cold water over lettuce head
- Place lettuce head in colander to drain.
- Store lettuce in a plastic bag with paper towel in refrigerator until ready to use.