¾ pound lean ground beef
2 14 ½-ounce cans of diced tomatoes
1 small green pepper, cut into small pieces
1 small onion, cut into small pieces
2 garlic cloves, cut into tiny pieces*
1 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed*
1 teaspoon black pepper*
1 pound whole-wheat spaghetti, uncooked (or your favorite pasta)
* You can use 1 Tablespoon of Italian seasoning instead of these three ingredients.
- Wash your hands well with soap and hot water.
- Turn the eye of the stove to medium heat. Preheat the skillet.
- Add the ground beef to the skillet. Stir the beef as it cooks to break it into crumbles. This will take about 5 minutes.
- Drain the fat from the cooked ground beef.
- Add the tomatoes with their juice, green pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, and black pepper (or Italian seasoning) to the skillet with the ground beef.
- Stir to mix the sauce ingredients together.
- Bring the sauce to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low. Cover the skillet with a lid.
- Let the sauce simmer for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While the sauce cooks, cook the spaghetti in a large pot of boiling water, using the directions on the package.
- When the spaghetti is done, drain it in a colander or strainer and place a serving of it on each plate. Top the spaghetti with the sauce and serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.