Coping with Picky Eaters
Children will grow out of their picky habits, especially if you do not make a big deal out of them. Usually, picky eating habits end before school age. The following are some tips to help deal with your child’s habits in a positive way:
- If children have the opportunity to pick out their own foods (especially fruits and vegetables), they are more likely to eat the foods.
- Cook with your child. This is the perfect time for your child to learn about foods and get to taste them. Let your child clean fresh produce, add ingredients, and stir.
- Give them options. For example, don’t ask your children if they want one vegetable; ask them to pick between two options you give them.
- Make sure your time at the table is positive and not stressful. If children associate meal times with arguments or stressful situations, they may develop unhealthy attitudes toward food.
- Make the same meal for everyone. Don’t go out of your way to humor your child’s picky habits. Even if your child misses a meal every now and then, he or she will be OK.