- 1 medium onion
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 cups shredded carrots, about 5 ounces
- 3 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 12 ounces frozen chopped broccoli, about 3 cups
- 1 cup low fat milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Wash your hands well with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Peel and cut onion into small pieces.
- Heat butter in a medium to large pot over medium-high heat, add onion and carrots and cook until vegetables are tender, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth and broccoli to the pot and cook until broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, add milk and flour and mix until smooth. Add the milk mixture to the pot, bring to a boil, and continue to stir until soup thickens slightly, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Turn heat to low and add cheese, pepper, and salt to the pot and stir until cheese is melted.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours.