Tips for enjoying favorite foods the HappyHealthy way!
- Bake meats with a crispy coating of breadcrumbs or cornflake crumbs instead of frying.
- Drink ice water with meals instead of sugar-sweetened drinks.
- Use smoked turkey pieces to flavor greens, beans, and peas instead of bacon or fatback.
- Add flavor with herbs and spices, to replace salt and fat.
- Cut out or use less gravy, creamy sauces or salad dressings, or sugary ketchup or barbecue sauces.
- Choose low-sodium or no-salt-added versions of canned or frozen foods.
- Add more veggies to your recipes and your plate.
- Use brown rice or whole-wheat pasta to add nutrition and fiber.
- Enjoy the flavor but reduce the calories with smaller portions.
- Offer fresh fruits or salads full of tasty veggies as side dishes.